LWVFL is a nonpartisan political organization that encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
Interns are a key part of the League and can benefit by gaining valuable experience in a nonprofit organization and by receiving a letter of recommendation. All our Tallahassee internships are unpaid, but the experience will improve your employment opportunities in the future.
As an LWVFL intern, you will gain experience in the following areas:
- Website maintenance, e-organization, and database support: Assist in the maintenance and updating of the League’s website using the League’s established policies and help increase the League’s social media presence on websites like Facebook and Twitter. Also, help manage the League’s databases and prepare requested management reports.
- Observer corps and local advocate: There are opportunities to attend as an observer some meetings of government entities, boards, commissions, etc. in which LWVF has particular interest. Interns also have the opportunity to attend committee meetings on behalf of LWVF at the Capitol.
- Communications and media: Assist in editing the League newsletter, The Florida Voter, and regular email updates. Also, work to draft and send out member communications via mail and email, as well as create press releases for local news outlets regarding upcoming community events and local meetings that the League facilitates.
- Event planning: Help with the planning, coordination, and execution of League events, including fundraising galas, meetings, press conferences, conventions, and seminars. Work with the Event Planner, Office Manager, and Executive Director to ensure all League events are successful.
- Voter registration and education: Interns are asked to help with the League’s voter registration and education efforts, including working with local League members to register new voters and assist with the creation of educational materials such as voter guides and candidate questionnaires.
The League is always accepting applications for interns in Tallahassee, and limited internship opportunities may be available in other parts of Florida. For more information, or to apply, please contact us.