The League supports Florida’s constitutional requirement to make adequate provision for the education of all children that is ‘uniform, efficient, safe, secure and high quality’.
Key issues include:
- Charter school quality, management and cost efficiency. See statewide study on school choice below.
- Constitutionality of direct and indirect funding to support private schools. See LWVUS positions on vouchers and tax credit scholarships.
- Impact of testing and school grade policies on teaching, learning and curriculum.
- Impact of school choice on school racial and economic segregation and local control of education policy.
Key Legislation passed in 2019
Under the Coach Aaron Feis Guardian Program, individuals who exclusively perform duties as classroom teachers were exempt from participating in the program. SB 7030 repealed that provision. Click here for the LWVFL response.
- Support adequate funding for public school facilities and operations to meet the needs of Florida’s schools. Support curriculum that is developed by educational experts and is science based.
- Support a statewide assessment and accountability system that provides the same data at appropriate intervals to measure student progress for all schools that receive public funds, directly or indirectly.
- Support higher standards for early childhood education, for both staff and programs.
- Oppose any legislation that would subvert the control of local elected school boards to approve the necessity for any additional schools.