The League supports Florida’s constitutional requirement to make adequate provision for the education of all children that is ‘uniform, efficient, safe, secure and high quality’.
Key issues include:
- Charter school quality, management and cost efficiency. See statewide study on school choice below.
- Constitutionality of direct and indirect funding to support private schools. See LWVUS positions on vouchers and tax credit scholarships.
- Impact of testing and school grade policies on teaching, learning and curriculum.
- Impact of school choice on school racial and economic segregation and local control of education policy.
2019 Legislative Priorities
- Support adequate funding for public school facilities and operations for the 2018-19 school years to meet the needs of Florida’s schools. Support curriculum that is developed by educational experts and is science based.
- Support a statewide assessment and accountability system that provides the same data at appropriate intervals to measure student progress for all schools that receive public funds, directly or indirectly.
- Support higher standards for early childhood education, for both staff and programs.
- Oppose any legislation that would subvert the control of local elected school boards to approve the necessity for any additional schools.