Economic Opportunity and Affordable Housing
The League of Women Voters of Florida supports legislation that helps meet basic human needs for all Floridians. We support programs and policies to prevent or reduce poverty and to promote self-sufﬁciency for individuals and families. The League believes that through support services, every Floridian can have a quality of life that they deserve.
The Poverty Action Team is committed to changing the negative outcomes of poverty and increasing life opportunities for all our residents. Current programs meant to help the poor become self-sufficient and improve their quality of life can instead create barriers for low-income families, making these goals more difficult. Our team advocates for these families through open dialog with our state and local legislators.
Basic Human Needs
- Income Assistance. Support income assistance programs based on a need that provides decent, adequate standards for food, clothing and shelter.
- Support Services. Provide for essential support services.
- Housing Supply. Support policies to provide a decent home and a suitable living environment for every American family.
Support programs and policies to expand the supply of affordable, quality childcare for all who need it.
- Early Intervention and adequate early childhood education for Children at Risk
- Support policies and programs that promote the well-being, development, and safety of all children.
Our current Legislative Priorities are aimed at;
- Increase affordable housing with full Sadowski Act funding and end housing discrimination
- Expand social welfare benefits such as TANF, SNAP, WIC, & Medicaid to serve more low-income Floridians
- Increase subsidized childcare and access to quality early learning for all children
Explore League Documents, issue papers, and backup reading material here.
Poverty Task Force Chair: Beth Hovind firstname.lastname@example.org
Join the LWVFL Poverty Action Team! Click here to join, but you must be a member of the League of Women Voters of Florida or one of our Local Chapters to participate.