The League of Women Voters of Florida supports every woman’s right to access affordable, high-quality reproductive health care, including access to abortion services and birth control. Public policy in a pluralistic society must affirm the constitutional right to privacy of the individual to make reproductive choices.
- treating reproductive rights — including access to abortion — as a healthcare issue decidable by a woman and her qualified healthcare provider
- comprehensive sex education in schools to prevent unintended pregnancy, including increased access to publicly-funded family planning services & information on sexually transmitted diseases and birth control
- collaboration with 50+ organizations in the Floridians for Reproductive Freedom coalition in opposition to current or proposed restrictions on birth control and/or abortion
Current activity focus
- Support of legislation that advances reproductive rights and comprehensive sex education
- Oppose restrictive legislation (for example, laws that threaten a woman’s right to choose)
- Initiate campaign to write Letters-to-the-Editor in support of LWVFL reproductive rights goals
- Provide women with information on the full range of reproductive health care
- Raise awareness of the impact on reproductive rights of Supreme Court cases & nominations and Crisis Pregnancy Centers (that is, CPCs or Fake Clinics)
For specific recent information and opinions on women’s reproductive rights and access to birth control, click here.